Playlist

Local Folks Foods

Excellent Kosher Food

July 8, 2013

The Independence Day 2013 Feast





This is a simple journey in to my Independence Day dinner. I am one who appreciates the importance of Jul;y 4th, the day the United States of America declared itself a free, independent republic. I enjoy those freedoms and realize how easily these freedoms can be lost. Not to mention those who want to enjoy the same freedoms we do, but can't. I'm thankful that I'm free.

Now, I'll share the meal I had with my family. It starts like this:



Brats, anyone? They were amazing!!!
                                             

Green beans. My cousin actually started these but I wound up watching them (the dinner was at my mom & dad's house). 15 minute boil. Add salt and ground pepper. No pork this time (some family members don't eat pork). Perfect. I decided against adding garlic as well. 



Cupcakes for the sweet tooth. These were made by my aunt!!


Now 2 things need to see here. First is the spaghetti, made by my cousin. She said she simmered the sauce for about an hour. Tomatoes, herbs cut fresh for the sauce. Outstanding. The potato salad was store bought but do you notice anything? Notice how the potato salad is resting on a bed of ice. The covers for both were close by. That way it won't go bad and no one will get sick (from the dairy going warm). 


The brats & hot dogs revisited, alone with BBQ baby back ribs. Maybe next time, I'll do St Louis spare ribs instead. Dad did the ribs over about a 4 hour period (and did it the day prior).  


Chicken and baked beans. Mom did the chicken in a smoker. She cooked them for about 2 hours at 275. She didn't like how they looked (skin wise) so she finished the chicken in the over. Absolute tenderness. Everyone like the chicken very much. Baked beans also made for a nice compliment. 


Green beans (finished) and more chicken. Needless to say, no one went hungry that day. In fact, we had food left over for a few days. It was nice to enjoy a nice dinner with family. 



This is my plate. The first of a few!!!!

I'll end this post in a way I feel is best. This post is a celebration of America's Independence so I think there's a perfect way to end this post. Below are the words of John Adams, taken partially from a letter to his wife, Abigail, prior to the Declaration of Independence:

"But on the other Hand, the Delay of this Declaration to this Time, has many great Advantages attending it. -- The Hopes of Reconciliation, which were fondly entertained by Multitudes of honest and well meaning tho weak and mistaken People, have been gradually and at last totally extinguished. -- Time has been given for the whole People, maturely to consider the great Question of Independence and to ripen their judgments, dissipate their Fears, and allure their Hopes, by discussing it in News Papers and Pamphletts, by debating it, in Assemblies, Conventions, Committees of Safety and Inspection, in Town and County Meetings, as well as in private Conversations, so that the whole People in every Colony of the 13, have now adopted it, as their own Act. -- This will cement the Union, and avoid those Heats and perhaps Convulsions which might have been occasioned, by such a Declaration Six Months ago.
But the Day is past. The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America.
I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.
You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. -- I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. -- Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will triumph in that Days Transaction, even although We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not."
Happy 237th Birthday, America!! I'm proud to be an America........ God Bless the USA!!!!!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment